The chess club is on in R34 Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday lunch times in Term 3.
- JMC enter a junior and a senior competition that is held in either July or August. Typically, 2 teams of 4 are entered into both competitions and the cost is $5 per person.
- The 2017 Otago/Southland School Chess Championships are being held in Dunedin on Saturday 17th June between 12:30pm – 6pm. The winning teams in each section qualify to represent Otago/Southland at the national interschool teams finals on September 30th - October 1st in Christchurch.
Senior students from JMC can do community service through helping coach, mentor or by playing chess games with the Junior Players.
We also appreciate any help from parents and the community in running the JMC chess club and helping our students improve their game further.
Chess players can also join the Otago Chess Club at 7 Maitland Street, Dunedin. This club caters to chess players of any age and playing strength. Members of the Otago Chess club can:
- Play in club tournaments held on Wednesday evenings and take part in social games
- Play social chess on Tuesday afternoons
- Borrow books from the Chess library
- Gain a national chess rating
- A comprehensive coaching programme for children aged 7 and up, run on Friday eveninings each school term from 6:30pm to 8:30pm at the Otago Chess Clubrooms.
- The academy is aimed at children who are beyond the basics and want to improve further
- If interested in taking part in the Junior Chess Academy, you need to be entered as a group through your school. Please contact Mary Guthrie if interested.
John McGlashan was placed a very competitive third and fifth.
Posted: Sunday September 10, 2017
It has been a very successful term for the John McGlashan Chess Club, with multiple teams gaining entry to the South Island Championships in September.
Posted: Tuesday July 25, 2017
Our chess team just won't stop winning. Yet again, we are on our way to the nationals.
Posted: Sunday June 18, 2017
Not all of us have the patience or mental stamina to consider a weekend of intense strategical thinking, but for this special group of intermediate students, this was what they were trained for.
Posted: Wednesday October 19, 2016