Closing dates for enrolments
Boarders: 31st July
Day boys: 15th August
Tuesday 1st August 7.pm
Thursday 3rd August 2:00 pm
In recent years the number of applications for enrolment at the college has exceeded the number of places available - particularly at years 7 and 9. The Integration Agreement states that, in these circumstances,
"Preference... shall be given to those pupils with parents who have a particular family, religious or philosophic sympathy with the special character of the College...
Board policy has been to offer places first to those boys who have a strong family connection with the school, such as a brother attending, or a father who attended, and, second, to those boys whose parent(s) had a "strong connection" to a Christian church or parish. In recent years we have gathered further information in order to make the process of determining preference as fair as possible.
There are at least 7 categories that we want to take into account and we ask that you complete the accompanying form and submit it along with the enrolment form. The categories are:
1. Family Association: This weighs quite heavily and boys with brothers attending, or fathers who attended McGlashan, should make this clear. Other family connections should be spelt out also. For example, a boy might have had a grandfather who attended, Then again, some will have cousins who attend(ed) and some may wish to point out that family members attended sister or brother schools.
2. Christian Affinity: Here we are interested in involvement in a Christian church or stance in relation to Christian teachings and values. Where the "level" of involvement is significant, we would appreciate a letter from a minister or church elder confirming this.
3. Citizenship and Attitude: In this category we will consider the extent to which applicants meet expectations relating to the school's core value and beliefs as set out in the prospectus. We will contact the principal of each boy's previous school and ask him/her about his attitude, commitment and willingness to participate in the full life of the school.
4. Special Strengths. Most boys have some special skills, abilities and strengths that we would like to know about and take into account. They may have worked very hard to overcome or deal with a disability, for instance. They may be high achievers in one or more cultural areas - in music or drama or speech, or perhaps they can point to high achievements in one or more sports.
5. Most recent report. We will also take this into account and would be grateful if you would include it, or a copy of it, with the application. Again we are looking for indicators about attitude and effort as well as about academic achievements and strengths.
6. Parental Involvement. This provides opportunity to include any other information about previous involvement with schools or education that parents may have had. Membership of a Board of Trustees, for instance, or involvement in a Parent Teacher Association or similar voluntary work in schools or other organisations should be included
7. Other. Parents should mention anything else that may be relevant, or which they would like the selection committee to take into account.
Because we intend to use this information to determine which boys to give preference to, it is important that you provide sufficient information for us to do this as fairly as possible. It you have already submitted an application , you may like to think about the information you supplied with it and add something further on the supplementary form at the bottom of the page. In the end, we may have to use a ballot to complete the process. Please explain to your son that this really makes it a matter of luck and the final outcome, whatever it may be, is not a reflection on him or on his abilities.
Applications close for boarders on 31 July and for day boys on 15 August and parents will be notified as soon as the process is completed, as soon as possible after those dates.
For obvious reasons, details of the enrolment committee's deliberations will have to remain confidential and no correspondence or further discussion of the process can be entered into.
Thank you again for your interest in enrolling your son at John McGlashan College.
N. A. Garry