Tuesday 13th September 2022

After a mammoth game in the South Island final against Nelson College, John McGlashan College qualified for its first appearance at the National top four schools event in Palmerston North. This is a huge effort and is something that a number of boys' schools have yet to achieve.

A number of parents and supporters booked their flights to travel up and be part of this amazing feat, and the chainsaws even made an appearance to really add to the McGlashan atmosphere.John McGlashan, unfortunately, drew the short straw and had to play Hamilton Boys' High School in their first game, a school that has a roll of over 2000 and a rugby academy of 500 plus students. Hamilton has been at this tournament 11 out of the last 13 years, so came into it as the favourite. Johnnie's started off well, creating a number of opportunities and 26 minutes into the game trailed Hamilton by 10-7. Unfortunately, we made a couple of mistakes and these were punished by HBHS the half time the score was 34-7. The second half was a lot closer as McGlashan worked hard on defence, and eventually, a number of injuries opened up some holes, and again Hamilton capitalised on this winning eventually 48-14. The scoreline did not reflect the game as it was definitely a lot closer in the game and the stats back this up showing McGlashan had more possession, territory, and time in the opposition 22. Standouts from the game were Charlie Breen and Stanley McClure who created a number of opportunities when given the ball, but really all of the team played their heart out. After a tough-fought first game the boys had to back up two days later and playoff for 3rd and 4th against Westlake Boys High School in Auckland again another school of over 2000. The team fought back from two quick tries to Westlake to draw it level just before half time, The boys showed a lot of ticker in the first half, with the forward pack giving it their all, especially Sam Williams who was a constant menace. A few injuries in the second half made it an even harder task for the boys, especially when captain Jack Timu had to go off. The reserves came on and gave it their all, especially stand-in players Kahu Keenan and Ben O'Meara who were up supporting the team and had to strap on the boots, and defended well, but unfortunately, the 1st XV fell short in the last few minutes going down 36-22. Stand-out players were all of the forward pack and Stanley McClure who scored a hat trick.Even though the team did not win a game in the top 4, this has still been the most amazing season - history-making to say the least, with so many firsts. The boys need to hold their heads up high as we are all so proud of them.A huge thank you to Russell Lundy, Stu Forster, Rob Fowler, Becca, James, and Tori who have all played their part in this team's success by going above and beyond and putting in numerous hours to the cause. also a huge thank you to all the parents and supporters who came to all the games and built the atmosphere at each game the helped the boys when times were tough.We are now looking forward to next year to see what the rugby season will bring.