After a two-year break, the McGlashan Parents and Friends Association is excited to announce that the John McGlashan Fete is back! This year it will be held on 10 September 2022. It is more than just a major event for our college community. It’s an event for the wider community in Dunedin and beyond and is known for the atmosphere, food stalls and sales items.
This year will be no exception, with almost 50 stalls and activities. The stalls include the ever-crowd-pleasing Chocolate Wheel, popular International Food stall and the high-quality offerings at the Professional and Pre-loved Clothing stalls.
Chocolate Wheel (top), visitors enjoying the Fete (bottom left), and International Food (bottom, right)
Classes and clubs operate fun activities and stalls including the Bouncy Castle, Face-painting, Golf Putt and Jellybean Count. Others well … what exactly are “Splat the Rat”, “Ping-Pong Pringles” and “Tennis Dodgeball Combo”? Sounds like a Squid Game challenge! Not to forget the ever popular and creative year 7 cake competition!
“Dunk the Clown” is popular, particularly when teachers and prefects are in the cold seat (top). There’s nothing boring about the Year 7 Cake Competition --- Yes, that’s a shark cake (bottom).
The Fete is the main fund-raiser for the Parents and Friends Association. Proceeds from past fetes have assisted:
● Improved education outcomes --- by funding reading programs, trips to Te Papa, a spectrometer for science, and the Virtual Reality facilities.
● Social activities, orientation, drug and alcohol awareness, health and wellbeing --- for example, welfare packs for year 13 students and defibrillators.
● Sports and recreation --- including specialist coaching, team uniforms and event travel, lights for the tennis court and cricket areas, upgrades for the rugby change rooms, and specialist sports equipment.
● Art and cultural opportunities --- by supporting school musicals, fit-outs for the drama room, the Silent Band suite in the Music Department, and costumes for Shakespeare Festivals.
● Environmental enhancement and heritage preservation.
This year’s Fete will also support activities and equipment for McGlashan's wonderful Te Anau Downs campus.
Volunteers make the most of a beautiful Sunday morning sorting donated goods and preparing stall materials
The PFA is grateful for the generosity of sponsors, donors, college staff and volunteers … but we need more help. Fete preparations have been underway since February and with just two more weeks to go, we in the final stage. This is where our McGlashan community comes in.
If you have an hour or two to spare on Fete Day please let us know, as many hands make light work, and we can give everyone a turn at enjoying the fete as well as helping out. We appreciate your help.
● If you can help on Fete Day --- email email@example.com
● Please donate your professional and pre-loved clothing --- drop-off to the Garage by the Hostel.
● Please like the John McGlashan College Fete Facebook page
Thanks once again from the JMC Parents and Friends Association!
We look forward to a fun-filled community day!
Sandy Rasmussen (PFA Chair)
P.S. We always welcome feedback and suggestions. Perhaps you’d like to join the PFA Committee? Whatever the case, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org