John McGlashan College will be embarking on an Educational HUMANITIES Tour to the United States of America next year.
One of the primary purposes of this overseas educational, cultural experience is to extend Humanities beyond the classroom.
‘To encourage the boys to develop an understanding of themselves and to become active participants in the world around them.'
An overseas experience is an opportunity for spiritual and personal growth, development of independence, initiative, leadership, self-discipline and community spirit. Such experiences enhance a young boy's world view and provide cross-cultural experiences which extend student understanding of other cultures and ways of life.
Goals of the trip:
- Empower the boys to strive for excellence
- Inspire the boys to transfer this newfound knowledge into their everyday lives back at school and incorporate this into their work
- Give the boys an experience to draw from when working on their own projects and assignments in the future
- Increase productivity and creativity within the Humanities curriculum
- San Francisco
- San Jose (Silicon Valley)
- Los Angeles
- Guided city tours of San Francisco and Los Angeles
- Cable car ride
- San Francisco School of Digital Filmmaking
- Alcatraz Island Tour
- Abraham Lincoln High School Academy of Information Technology
- Stanford University visit
- Silicon Valley Media Company visit/s (E.g. Google)
- Tech Museum of Innovation
- San Jose Performing Arts Center
- Attend a Live TV Show taping (subject to availability)
- Exchange: LA County High School for the Arts
- The University of Southern California Cinematic Arts
- Two Community Service Activities - giving back to the locals
- LA LIVE and Grammy Museum
- Hollywood Boulevard, TCL Chinese Theatre, Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Stage 48
- Fowler Museum at UCLA (Global Humanities)
- Catalina Jazz Club
- Fowler Museum at UCLA (exploring humanities and global arts)
- Universal Studios incl. Special Effects Backlot Tour
AMP Recording Studios
- Tour & Session at New York Film Academy (Los Angeles Campus)
- Ronald Reagan Museum
We are using Tour Time for the Humanities trip.
Tour Time: http://www.tourtime.co.nz is the major company of choice in New Zealand for organising national and international school group tours. They are specialists in organising school tours to different corners of the globe. They are fully licenced and bonded tour company and have been in business for 25 years. They are a family owned and operated tour company and have toured around the world with many schools and groups on Educational, Music and Sporting tours.
If you are a senior student in 2017 (Years 11-13) and interested in applying for the Humanities USA Tour, please see Tour Leader Ms Fridd for more details or application forms.