Friday 11th September 2015

And a junior report too

7 Boarders in the successful 1st XI Hockey
7 Boarders in the successful 1st XI Hockey

John McGlashan College 1st Eleven Hockey by Anthony O’Connell and Josh Caldwell:

The 2015 season for the John McGlashan College 1st Eleven-hockey team was a highly successful year, having started off with a strong team, but unfortunately as the season progressed the team lost three key senior players due to injures. Nevertheless, the team’s persistence paid off and with the coach James Nation’s motivation; he was able to push the players to their limit, also developing the younger players who received a call-up.

The team went through the season only losing two games and ended up in the Dunedin Secondary Schools Final with ease, although only to play against a team with a proud history for sports, Otago Boys High School (OBHS). The final was a big game with well over five hundred keen spectators coming to back their chosen team. Over hundred of which were the ‘Factory’s’ young McGlashan men from the Boarding House.

It was a close match with OBHS binning an early goal in the first half to put the team under the pump. However, the young men held their heads and never gave in and were rewarded with an outstanding goal coming from Josh Caldwell. This left the score at 1-1 as the full-time whistle sounded. The game went through two rounds of nail biting penalty strokes to eventually come out victorious and retain the title of being the Secondary School Champions.

From there, the team ventured down into the untamed grounds of Gore for one week tournament of hockey where the team’s mental and physical strengths would be tested. John McGlashan College played six games in five days. On the first day the team came up against an unknown James Hargest team, which proved a challenge, but they gritted their teeth and snuck away with a 1-0 win. Day two the team played a sleepy Shirley Boys team and wrapped 5 goals around them only to concede 2. Day three was the double header as the team played Marlborough Boys and Greymouth High. The team woke up on the wrong side of the bed suffered a disappointing loss 3-4 to Marlborough Boys. After a quick nap and getting up on the correct side of the bed the Boys made quick work of the Greymouth High boys and smashed them 6-1. Day Four was do-or-die, coming up against local rivals Kings High School. Last time the teams met them they lost in a hard fought game 1-0. But this time was different; with the team full of confidence they went out and scored early to gain a 1-0 lead that they held to the final buzzer. Day five, once again the team earned themselves a spot in another final against a strong Christchurch Boys Team. Gore turned on a ripsnorter of a day turning the town white with snow and making the final game one hell of a battle. Unfortunately, the team went down 3-0 in a hard fought match ending up with a silver medal around their neck gaining second place in Johnson Cup. By coming in the top two, the team promoted themselves into the top tier tournament in New Zealand. Many thanks will have to go to the parents that came down on the chilly nights and to the supporters that made a season one to remember.

John McGlashan College U15 Hockey Development Squad by Lucas Dickison and Tom Johnston:

This season the John McGlashan College U15 Hockey Development Squad played hard and tried their best during the season, which is all you can ask from the team. The team usually had a slow start to each of the games we played but once the first ten minutes ticked over, we were back in the action. The boarders in the team were Tom Johnston and Lucas Dickison.

One of the season’s greatest highlights was winning against the Otago Boys 2nd Eleven. This year the U15 Hockey Tournament was held in Hamilton and we were fortunate enough to be invited by St. Paul's. The team came 9th equal in the tournament, and we had lots of fun by testing our skills and abilities on the Hockey Turf. We would like to thank our coach Karl Thom and mangers Mike Beagley and a special thanks to Mr Glen Clark.