The John McGlashan rowers came away with 7 crews getting medals at the South Island Secondary School regatta.
On Saturday many crews battled a cross wind coming down the lake, but the McGlashan rowers battled on and finished the heats with 10 crews in A finals and 6 in B finals. Due to the length of the programme some of the finals were rowed late Saturday afternoon. The U16 coxed quad was one of these. They had a strong race to finish nearly 6 seconds in front of the next crew. Lochie Bain, Ben Morris, Alex Timmings, Josh Smith and cox Alex Byars stood on the dias to receive their gold medal before racing finished for the day.
Sunday dawned windy, the regatta was on hold for a couple of hours before being abandoned. Which meant that medals were given out on times that the crews had during heats the previous day. This was not an ideal build up to Maadi (NZ secondary school regatta) next week but the boys got an impressive haul of medals all the same:
- U16 single – Bradley Leydon – Silver
- U17 double – Tom Grave, Woody Kirkwood – Bronze
- U17 coxed quad – Tom Grave, Woody Kirkwood, Lochie Chittock, Bradley Leydon, (cox) Mitchell Parks – Bronze
- U16 double – Ben Morris, Alex Timmings – Bronze
- U15 coxed quad – Josh Smith, Ben Timmings, Max Gomez, Ben Macdonald, (cox) Jacob Cotton – Bronze
- U15 eight – Ben Macdonald, Ben Timmings, Max Gomez, Will Burdon, Jack McLaughlan, Alex Byars, Will Patterson, Ben Teviotdale, (cox) Nathan Wylie